Cybersecurity experts play a pivotal role in securing information systems from possible threats. They primarily monitor, detect, investigate, analyze and respond to security issues and protect systems from various risks, threats, and vulnerabilities related to cybersecurity. Cybersecurity experts collaborate with IT teams concerned with safeguarding the data and networks of the organization.
Data is an asset for any organization, and thus it has become a necessity to protect essential information and data. Because of this, the demand for cybersecurity professionals has been incessantly increasing. Varsha Barooah, the Director of Michael Page India, has stated that by 2025, India is likely to witness over 1.5 million job openings for cybersecurity professionals. In view of high demand, a majority of IT professionals are seeking cybersecurity expert certification to have a rewarding career ahead. But the main question is how one can realize the dream of becoming a cybersecurity expert? What are the prerequisites of becoming a cybersecurity expert? Don’t let such questions haunt you since we are here to resolve all your queries and help you become a skilled cybersecurity expert.
Who is a Cybersecurity Expert
A cybersecurity expert is a core IT professional involved in protecting information from unauthorized access, illegal duplication, and theft. The cybersecurity expert analyzes the potential sources of risk and then develops a strategy to prevent security breaches. They play a crucial role in combating hackers who try to steal sensitive information.
Major Steps for Becoming a Cybersecurity Expert
Becoming a skilled cybersecurity expert is a time-consuming process and thus needs patience. You can become a cybersecurity expert by taking into consideration the following points:
- Get a Formal Degree: Having a bachelor’s degree in IT is one of the basic prerequisites for becoming a cybersecurity expert. Additionally, you will be required to have an in-depth knowledge of the current cybersecurity industry trends. To leap towards the career of a cybersecurity expert, you can consider pursuing one of the following bachelor’s degree programs:
- B.Tech or B.E. (IT)
- B.Tech (Information Science & Engineering)
- Diploma in Cyber Security
- B.Tech (Cyber Security and Forensics)
For a more advanced knowledge, you can also pursue master level degrees like:
- M.B.A. (Information Security Management)
- M.E. (Information Technology)
- M.Tech (Information Technology)
- M.Tech (Cybersecurity)
- PG Diploma in Cyber Security
- Become Certified: To progress in a cybersecurity career, it’s important to have completed the required certifications. Completing certification courses in addition to formal degrees helps to strengthen your resume and give you a competitive edge over other candidates. Some of the popular certifications with special focus on cybersecurity include:
- Security+ certification
- Network+ certification
- Certified Ethical Hacker certification
- Gain Relevant Experience: Having relevant experience in cybersecurity will enhance your probability of getting a high-salary job with reputed firms. You can gain industry level experience either via prior work experience, internship or relevant hands-on experience.
- Build a Strong Network: To grow professionally, it’s imperative to develop a strong professional network. You can do this by getting in touch with various organizations, job hunting portals, or groups that will keep you posted on the latest job openings related to cybersecurity.
Roles and Responsibilities of a Cybersecurity Expert
The job of a cybersecurity expert is a very complex one and requires a lot of concentration and vigilance. The key roles and responsibilities of a cybersecurity expert involve:
- To be on the lookout for building a robust security system during the development process of software, networks, and data centers.
- Search and locate vulnerabilities and risks in hardware and software.
- Research and find the best method to safeguard an organization’s IT infrastructure.
- Building firewalls to keep a check on the incoming and outgoing network traffic.
- Regularly monitor cyberattacks and security breaches.
- Combat any potential risk or attempted breach
- To identify the perpetrator and report it to the police if required.
Skills Required to Become a Cybersecurity Expert
There are a certain number of essential skills that are to be possessed by every cybersecurity expert to perform the roles and responsibilities adequately:
- Profound IT skills and knowledge related to hardware, software, and networks.
- Ability to pay close attention to details
- Ability to spot the strengths and weaknesses of IT using logical reasoning.
- An in-depth knowledge of ways used by hackers to break into security systems and ability to keep track of the evolving trends in the world of cybersecurity.
- Ability to point vulnerabilities in IT systems.
The role of a cybersecurity expert comes with a lot of responsibility, and one needs to be on toes always to detect, combat and prevent any threat to the security and possible theft of data and sensitive information. Because of this, individuals wishing to pursue a career in cybersecurity need to be diligent and look for various reliable sources of information that can help them advance their careers. We are hopeful that this article will help you get a sneak peek into the roles and responsibilities of a cybersecurity expert and how to become one.