The wrongful death of a family member can leave survivors feeling angry, shocked, and awash with grief. Not only must families deal with the financial implications of such a loss, but they must also cope with their own injuries. If your loved one’s death was caused by someone else’s negligent acts, you may gain some comfort in holding them accountable—and finding a wrongful death lawyer is the first step.
What Do Wrongful Death Lawyers Do?
Although most lawyers are technically qualified to represent families in wrongful death claims, that doesn’t mean they are equally competent. Wrongful death attorneys typically focus on cases involving auto accidents, product liability, medical malpractice, and the like. By hiring a lawyer from the Wyatt Law Firm, you’ll find it easier to pursue justice in your loved one’s name.
How to Find a Wrongful Death Lawyer
Finding the right attorney for a case can seem like a challenge, but it may be a little less arduous with these tips.
- Ask friends and family for recommendations. Those closest to you know the situation best. If a friend, family member, or acquaintance has worked with a local attorney, ask for his or her opinion so you’ll have an idea of what to expect.
- Read online reviews. Attorneys’ websites are a great source of reviews from past clients. By reading them, you’ll get a sense of the types of legal cases the attorney handles and their level of success.
- Read the attorney’s biography. These pages tell clients about an attorney’s legal experience as well as their relational style and personal life. This information can help you decide whether to hire them based on your level of comfort.
- Interview the lawyer in person. Face-to-face meetings are the easiest way to determine if a lawyer is a right fit for your family and the case. Furthermore, these consultations give lawyers a chance to examine the case’s facts more closely and decide whether they have the resources and skills to succeed. Most wrongful death attorneys offer no-cost initial consultations.
Finally, the state’s bar association can direct you toward local firms that have handled similar cases. You’ll have the chance to compare attorneys’ profiles and examine their complaint histories, so you’ll get a more complete picture of the firm and what it can do for the family.
Questions to Ask a Wrongful Death Attorney
Finding the right lawyer is a difficult decision, and it should only be made once you’re well informed. Here are a few questions to ask when consulting a wrongful death lawyer.
- What kind of experience does the firm have with wrongful death claims? Try to find a lawyer who has handled cases involving similar situations—whether it’s a car accident, medical malpractice, or another event.
- Who will handle the case? Most injury firms have teams of professionals who may work on your case at some point. While we work with paralegals, investigators, and others, we maintain primary responsibility for your case.
When you’re dealing with the loss of a family member, it can be tough to move on with life. By hiring a wrongful death attorney, you and your loved ones can access the resources needed to hold the at-fault party accountable. Request more information online or call today for a free consultation.